The Canadian Condominium Institute – Manitoba Chapter leads the condominium industry by providing education, information, awareness and access to expertise by and for our members.
We are your Manitoba condo connection!
News & Updates
Join us for our Annual General Meeting & Networking Conference
Wednesday, September 20, 2017
In celebration of our 35th Anniversary we are very pleased to announce our 2017 Networking Conference to be held prior to our Annual General Meeting at the Norwood Hotel. Join us for an informative evening of networking, fun and fabulous prizes!
Networking Conference: 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
AGM Registration: 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Annual General Meeting: 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Prize Draw/Wine & Cheese: 8:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Please note that our Annual General Meeting is open to all members of the Manitoba Chapter of the Canadian Condominium Institute, including individual unit owners in member condominium corporations. Although pre-registration is not required it is very much appreciated. Following the AGM – Wine & Cheese will be served for you to enjoy while we announce all the lucky winners!
Important Update on the Condominium Property Tax Fairness Campaign
We made our position clear that CCI Manitoba was not going to allow this matter to be swept under the rug and we will continue to push for fairness. Our goal for the meeting was to have the Deputy Minister agree to at least strike a task force to work with CCI to review this matter.
The Minister advised the committee that he would take up this matter with the Minister and committed to getting back to us within the next two months with the Minister’s position. Depending on the Minister’s position, we may need to call all condominium owners to take action once again. We hope that will not be necessary but stay tuned. We may need you!!
Chair, Property Tax Committee
The Current Property Taxation System is Unfair to Condo Owners. DEMAND CHANGE!!!
DID YOU KNOW
- Condominium units pay property taxes calculated at the same rate as single family dwellings. This means that a property with a detached home on it will pay far less in property taxes than the same-sized property with a condominium on it.As a result, condominium owners pay property taxes up to 84% higher per person than owners of detached homes (due to smaller household size).
- Condominiums provide housing density and save municipalities money for snow clearing, garbage pickup, road maintenance and more. But condo owners pay more, not less, in spite of the savings they provide to government.
- Provincial cabinet decides what property tax portion paid bycondominium owners.
WHAT YOU CAN DO?
Email the provincial party leader:
WHAT YOU CAN SAY?
Here are some examples of things you can say to political leaders and the candidates:
- Demand property tax fairness for condominium owners.
- Ask them if they know that condo residents pay 57-84% more in property taxes per person than residents of detached homes?
- Ask them if they know that condos save governments money in infrastructure costs, but get no discount while paying more through condo fees.
- Make it clear that this is a provincial issue and that we know that the provincial government decides on the property tax portion paid by condominiums under the Classification of Property and Portioned Values Regulation.
GET INVOLVED! Print and Sign the petition
INTERESTED IN THE PROPERTY TAX ISSUE? FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OUR PLANS
Manitoba’s new Condominium Act is now in effect as of February 1, 2015. The new Act contains many changes and to better understand the changes to the Act and the regulations, visit www.manitoba.ca/condo
Click here to view the letter received from the Registrar-General outlining the various changes.