The Canadian Condominium Institute – Manitoba Chapter leads the condominium industry by providing education, information, awareness and access to expertise by and for our members.
News & Updates
Upcoming Lunch & Learn – Thursday, January 19, 2017
GOING GREEN: Being Power Smart
Member Price: $25.00 /Non-Member Price: $50.00
The Current Property Taxation System is Unfair to Condo Owners.
DID YOU KNOW
- Condominium units pay property taxes calculated at the same rate as single family dwellings. This means that a property with a detached home on it will pay far less in property taxes than the same-sized property with a condominium on it.As a result, condominium owners pay property taxes up to 84% higher per person than owners of detached homes (due to smaller household size).
- Condominiums provide housing density and save municipalities money for snow clearing, garbage pickup, road maintenance and more. But condo owners pay more, not less, in spite of the savings they provide to government.
- Provincial cabinet decides what property tax portion paid bycondominium owners.
WHAT YOU CAN DO?
Email the provincial party leaders:
WHAT YOU CAN SAY?
Here are some examples of things you can say to political leaders and the candidates who want your vote.
- Demand property tax fairness for condominium owners.
- Ask them if they know that condo residents pay 57-84% more in property taxes per person than residents of detached homes?
- Ask them if they know that condos save governments money in infrastructure costs, but get no discount while paying more through condo fees.
- Make it clear that this is a provincial issue and that we know that the provincial government decides on the property tax portion paid by condominiums under the Classification of Property and Portioned Values Regulation.
- Make it clear this is important to you and will influence your vote
GET INVOLVED! Print and Sign the petition
INTERESTED IN THE PROPERTY TAX ISSUE? FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OUR PLANS
It has been a busy few months for the property tax campaign. During the provincial election, we successfully raised the issue of property tax fairness. CCI-Manitoba distributed 50,000 flyers targeting condominium owners. While we reached out to all CCI members, we also targeted non CCI member condo owners. Our outreach was successful and our events about property tax fairness in Brandon and in Winnipeg were very well attended. Thank you to all who attended!
Manitoba’s new Condominium Act is now in effect as of February 1, 2015. The new Act contains many changes and to better understand the changes to the Act and the regulations, visit www.manitoba.ca/condo
Click here to view the letter received from the Registrar-General outlining the various changes.